Friday, November 20, 2009

Rum and Eggnog Cupcakes: The Recipe



Mmmm mmmm good.
These tasty little holiday treats were actually born from my in-the-making Christmas Bella Bash (consider this a sneak peak). Although I probably won't be throwing my own Christmas party this year (shocking, I know), I wanted to make my Bella Bash photo shoot realistic so I brainstormed some festive goodies I would have served were I to have played hostess. Well, lets just say the photo shoot is days away, and the cupcakes are ready right now. Thank goodness it was my mom's birthday tonight, because it definitely saved me from eating them all (and I didn't have to bake her a birthday cake- yay!)

Why rum and eggnog cupcakes? Rum cake is a family birthday staple in my household, and well, eggnog is eggnog, it doesn't need any explanation because it's just that good. The rum cake all started with my dad, who likes a little bit more rum than cake, but got us all hooked after requesting this moist and delicious treat for every one of his birthdays. My mom makes the best rum cake, and for those who have tasted Tortuga Rum Cake from the Caribbean, well, her's puts it to shame. She just uses boxed cake mix, putting a little spin on it by adding vanilla pudding powder and substituting rum for some of the water in the directions. She uses a rum/sugar glaze for the actual bundt cake, but for cupcakes, we'll stick with the eggnog buttercream.

To make the rum cupcake batter:

  • 1 package yellow cake mix
  • 1 package instant vanilla pudding mix
  • 4 eggs
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/2 cup dark rum

Follow instructions on cake box and spoon into cupcake cups.

To make the eggnog buttercream icing:

1 C. room temp. butter
6-8 C. powdered sugar
2 t. vanilla
1/2 C. eggnog
1-2 t. nutmeg
(for an extra punch, add a few drops of rum flavoured extract. If you find your buttercream too thin, add more icing sugar, or a little meringue powder to stiffin it).

Cream the butter for 30 seconds until smooth. Add the rest of the ingredients. Mix until combined. Use a pastry bag and round tip to pipe onto cupcakes, and sprinkle with a bit more nutmeg.

Because of the eggnog in the icing, the buttercream will expire so make sure to use it up quick (like that will be a problem). Also, the cupcakes are best served chilled, straight out of the fridge. The icing will get fairly soft if left at room temp because of the amount of liquid and butter in it ;)

Enjoy!



3 comments:

  1. Oh man, that looks/sounds SO delicious....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Thank you so much for sharing this recipe! I can't wait to try these.

    ReplyDelete