Monday, November 16, 2009

Photographer Portrait: Cathy Empey


















When I say that I am in love with everything that has to do with these photos, I mean it. These INCREDIBLE wedding details were shot by local photographer (and November vendor crush of the month) Cathy Empey. Cathy had the opportunity to attend a photography workshop put on by the incomparable Jessica Claire and styled by some of the best vendors the wedding industry has to offer. Yes, this wedding was already stunning to begin with, but Cathy's photographs take it to an entirely new level of pretty. I find her images soft and delicate, whimsical and airy, and undeniably feminine. This shouldn't come as a surprise, however, considering her primary subjects are boudoir clients! I usually select vendors that I've personally worked with for my picks of the month, but I honestly couldn't shake the emotions her photos evoked. I just had to share these with you and hope that you get that same feeling too!

Cathy also generously answered a few questions, so check out her interview below!

Hello Bella: How and when did you start your career as a photographer?

Cathy Empey: I have always had an interest in photography. My mom recently gave me a photo of myself pretending to take a photo with my Dad's light metre. I was copying him at age 2 or so. Then, in high school I took a few blocks of film photography, print production and art (taught by my Dad who was the high school art teacher). I have always enjoyed taking photos. So, after having a maternity session after the birth of my sixth and final child, I felt wonderful and beautiful. So, I decided that I wanted to buy a camera and get back into photography. I knew I could make others feel just as beautiful as I did that day. And so, that was just over one year ago. It has been an amazing journey!

Hello Bella: Obviously the experience of shooting a wedding is much different than a boudoir session. What are your favourite aspects of each?

Cathy Empey: Boudoir is my first love, and is true to my heart. It is so exciting to help other women feel sexy and beautiful! The sessions are fun, they are posed and are short sessions. A wedding is a whole different environment. Every couple is different, their stories are different, and each wedding is unique. I LOVE LOVE, and to be able to capture that love between two people on one of the most important days of their lives, is such an honour! I knew after helping shoot at one wedding at the beginning of the year, and attending the Jessica Claire workshop that this would be the next direction I would take in my business. I am pleased to offer wedding photography to the Fraser Valley area and beyond in 2010. My goal is to offer a complete wedding experience! My goal is to create lasting images the go beyond the ordinary!

Hello Bella: What are your favourite wedding shots to take?

Cathy Empey: Besides capturing portraits of the bride and groom, I would have to say the little details that make the couples wedding unique. Items that tell their unique story. I like details that are interesting and captivating.

Hello Bella: What is the most valuable thing you learned from the incomparable Jessica Claire?

Cathy Empey: Jessica Claire reminded us that EVERY photographer has a point of view. It is my job as photographer to be sure to be the best ME I can be, and to share my point of view with my clients, and my blog readers. Managing clients expectations down to the tiny-tiny details is another very important part of the equation. She also taught me to invest in my brand, and in myself. And to BE myself. I am passionate about photography, and I believe that I can give the best experience to my clients. This passion is what drives me to do the best I can, for everybody that I photograph.

Hello Bella: Who are your boudoir clients mostly composed of? (brides-to-be, newlyweds, etc)

Cathy Empey: I have noticed that the majority of my boudoir clients are women that want to do the session for themselves. ( This is an awesome side benefit to their spouse, or husband-to-be!)

Hello Bella: Words used to describe your work?

Cathy Empey: Timeless, beautiful, modern, simple and warm.


[The Details]

The First Ever Jessica Claire OC Workshop, Orange County, California - September 21, 2009

Photographer: Cathy Empey, http://www.cathyempey.com

Event & Photo Stylist: Grey Likes Weddings, http://www.greylikesweddings.wordpress.com

Floral Design: Lauryl Lane, http://www.lauryllane.com

Hair & Makeup: Vivian Tran: All Made Up, http://www.allmadeupteam.com

Wedding Stationery, Favors, and Paper Suite: MaeMae Paperie, http://www.maemaepaperie.com

Printing of paper products: Czar Press, http://www.czarpress.com

Fabric Rosettes, shoe clips, and "just married" banner over cake: B. Poetic: http://www.bpoetic.com

Cake: Cheryl Stewart of Cake My Day

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos! Some really different shots and unique angles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! Haha...that´s just to funny! You´resitting in Kanada; i´m In Stockholm, Sweden, we´re both blogging and watching CSI...haha... :D Love it! People around the world are not so different after all...

    Indeed, beautiful pics! Love that Vinatge style!
    It´s gotta be so much fun planning weedings.
    Much love

    ReplyDelete